Re: MainStage looping

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Loren Claypool <looper@theclaypools.com>
wrote:
> Happy New Year! I converted my software-based looping rig to MainStage
> v2.2 running on a Mac mini 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 8 GB, OS X
> 10.7.2. I'm running the audio through an Apogee Duet 2 at 24/88.2. My
> foot controller consists of a Tech 21 MIDI Moose with a Boss FV-500L
> expression pedal routed through a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller into a
> Motu FastLane-USB. I am using MidiPipe to hijack the stream and convert
> program change to note on/off to control the Loopback plugin. The core
> template I created has three separate loopers. I've been playing with
> the setup quite a bit and it's been rock solid and sounds great. Anyone
> else on the list looping in MainStage?

Yes. I too made a Loopback setup to test out the looper. Looked like
http://www.looproom.com/mainstage/MSloopback5set.png
I like that Loopback is so configurable - just like the Mainstage
graphics are - but I didn't like that Loopback's  fade-out function
deletes the loop; I'd rather be able to have it stay looping in
silence and then fade in to come back later. Generally I prefer to arm
Mainstage with the third-party looping plugin Mobius. Its code is not
fully following the AU protocol but is possible to use anyway if you
simply neglect the warnings. Right now I'm looping with Mobius in
Ableton Live, but I can't get as good sound that way as with Mainstage
so after this Ableton gig I will be happy to boot Mainstage again to
work on the pile of ideas that has clogged up lately. Except for the
general good fidelity I especially like the ring modulator effect
available in Mainstage - no other software RM sounds that good to me.
But if you like a good Octavia tone (for string instruments, Hendrix
Purple Haze solo is a typical  example) there isn't one such in
Mainstage, so I use the third-party plugin Ampitube 3 from IK
Multimedia only for their superb Octavia (yes, I do own the physical
Roger Mayer pedal and that's my reference here).

Per Boysen