Re: Liking/Disliking your own music

This is a great thread.

It was exactly that hyper-critical voice that drove me away from performance almost 20 years ago, and with which I am wrestling anew these days. As with so many here, I too found that whatever I was so painfully unhappy with in the moment was often quite enjoyable after the fact, with some distance, listening to a recording or video. But that pain in the moment was excruciating and I was not able to defeat it then.

At a recent looping event, one performer delivered something so transcendent and intimate, I had to ask: how on earth were you able to allow yourself to go so deep, spontaneously, in this artificial, fraught, performance context?

The performer looked me straight in the eye, and without waiting a beat, said "Lorazepam."  :)

Fricking genius. I am not even kidding. Never occurred to me before :) And I am not advocating Hendrix hallucinogens or dopey weeds, or other "mind-expanding" or "performance enhancing" shenanigans, just thinking that a tiny bit of therapeutic pharmacology to take the edge off a debilitating inner critic might well be very useful.  For me anyway.

Phil :)