Re: Why...?

Hi,

Nice answers to this thread.

> Why do you 'loop'? What got you started on this path?

I started to loop without knowing this term with a boss dd (6?, I
think) that I borrowed from the guitarist in my band (I was playing
bass at the time in a pop/rock band). Then I discovered
loopers-delight, toyed with ambiloop then mobius and bought the mono
digitech Jamman I still use.

> Was it a mechanism for solo performance? to record a vamp?

A bit of everything. I've always been interested in sound, more than
"music" in fact. I own a lot of synth, FX, other instruments but
(almost) never saved a patch. I'm just enjoying the "moment" then
power off the machine and ...  that's all, folks

> A compositional device, a new avenue of expression? (repetition as
> compositional device?)

A bit for composition but mainly for testing layering of textures, not
in the AABAB sense.
I tried several midi sequencers (MC-303, RM1x, softs...) but never
manager to get a good live seamless loop, the midi note on the border
beeing cut when the pattern starts again and I tend to use long notes
or notes with long long release time (the fake reverb trick). The
solution was to loop in the audio domain.

> An 'artistic statement' in itself? as if to say "I DONT NEED NO STINKIN
> BAND!"

I like jamming with a band, I hate rehearsing and playing the same
songs over and over.

> A fallback for artistic roadblocks? (as in--an easy way out)
??

> A way of exploring new rhythms?

Yes and some textures too.

> A textural apparatus? sound design?

Yes, both.

> A means of 'warping sound'?

Yes and as a tool to adjust the signal level and/or create patches on
the FX boxes behind the looper.

> With me, it's been all of the above, and I've jumped among 7 or 8 devices
> along the way.
>
> How about you?

I don't have a very good musical backgroung, I can't read a staff, I
took some piano lessons ( bored to play some "classical" pieces) ,
played the bass by hear (fun), took some guitar lessons (not enough
time with the childs) but I'm more on the experimental side of music:
contrapunt, overtones, clusters, freeze, glitch, serendipity, ... you
name it. I like to read user manuals of things I don't own (synth, FX,
...) and imagine the sound it could make (now with youtube it's easier
than before :-) but It's less fun). I like to learn in a lot of
domain, to experiment but I'm more in the category "a lot of things on
surface" than "deep on one thing" ;-)

I'm almost 40 now, time for a crisis :-)  and thinking about a new
orientation or carreer. I'm thinking of using my musical interest and
knowledge (looping as discussed earlier, generative music, ...  ) in
new directions in the field of personal development ( emotion and
stress management ,sophrology, fullmindness, meditation, healing ,
...).

Has anyone used looping in these directions or conducted meditations
sessions, improvisation groups, drum circles, ... with loopers (or
other stuff)? I would be interested in any links, books or personnal
experiences. Privately if OT.

I will alway be thankfull to this community. It's a great resource and
I have learned a lot reading it.

Ben.