Re: Copyrighting Improvised Music

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Gmail <k3zz21@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always, for one, wondered how the process of copyrighting your
> music goes. But I also wonder is it worth copyrighting something totally
> improvised?

About receiving compensation as the creator when your improvised works
are being used:

I talked to both my PRO and independent publishing partners about this
and the rule in all territories (countries) is that you need to
register improvisations as compositions. This may seem weird at first,
but If thinking about it there isn't something like a defined border
between composition and improvisation. A composition can very well
contain  directions for an improvisation to be carried out, like for
example the extreme "play anything". A registered composition needs to
have a name and a duration time. Some genre tagging may also be asked
for.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com