Re: College

<http://www.youtube.com/user/ribosomematt>What I've learned in my life is that if you do what you truly love and you keep doing it everyday..............if you learn to turn off the many, many voices in our society that say that economic security should be the basis of most of life's lifestyle decisions, occupationally, that you will be as happy as it's possible to be.

It's a lot harder for me to make money that it used to be as a professional musician and music teacher but making the decision
to go that route has let me have the most amazing life.

When I was 25 years old, I looked myself in the mirror and told myself......'work hard for the next year of your life and learn everything that you think you should learn and then decide what city in the US to move to to attempt to be a professional musician'.

My parents were against it.........some of my friend thought I was nuts, but, in my case, I realized that I wouldn't be happiest
unless I went for it with all of my being.

That was my path and it's not everyone's, obviously, but I know a lot of people who have good day jobs and put
all of their heart and soul in their off hours into being musicians.

Honestly, some of the best musicians I've ever know have day jobs and some only make music for a living.

Sometimes, struggling financially, and having to compromise commercially speaking can really get in the way of being creative. Some of the most 'stuck' musicians I know, creatively, are professional musicians.

The key, I think, though, is to pursue your dreams with all of your heart.

Increasing piano skills and learning how to make electronic music and be good at recording and producing
don't have to be at odds with each other.

In my life, I make a ton of decisions that don't make sense for the amount of time that I have to put into them. I just started playing violin this past month and I'm 58 years old. I have no chance of making money as a violinst, EVER............but I'm just in love with it and progressing very rapidly because of it.

Good luck and remember, you do not have to have your life figured out before you are 25 years old.......
Hardly anyone I know ever did.

Rick Walker

Gmail <k3zz21@gmail.com <mailto:k3zz21@gmail.com>> was like:

    So I'm at the part of my life to choose what I want to do in the
    future (Junior year highschool). I feel torn by this decision
    especially considering that I'm highly indecisive on a daily
    basis... I kinda want to major in some field of piano music, but I
    don't want to have to end my hobby/goal/love for electronic music.
    However without my piano background I probably would have no
    musical knowledge to fuel my electronic music and also wouldn't
    have known the joys of the emotional roller-coaster music brings :p.
    Basically I'm asking (particularly anyone who has been in this
    position) What should I do? It feels like the end of the world for
    me right now yet its barely the beginning :/