Re: Stereo Separation?

Hi-ho, stereo!

Stereo, at least when I'm playing guitar and looping is pretty much a
necessity in my book.

The last time I played a Y2K fest in Santa Cruz I went small(er) and my
rig was the one pictured at the link below:

<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1222372850122&set=t.1552981135&type=3&theater>

My regular, slightly larger rig that I play at home and anywhere where I
get a little more time to set up is pictured here:

<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150535067268972&set=a.42268958971.50665.30024123971&type=3&theater>

As you can see in both, I don't use amps or cabs anymore, my chiropractor
bills eventually cured me of that.

I use a couple of little Mackie SRM150s mounted on sawed off mic stands.

What they lack in low-end they make up in loudness.

They cut through pretty well.

The house PA can always provide the low-end thump to the audience.

Low-end and stereo don't mix really well, in fact when I play bass I
eschew FX entirely (other than looping) and play in straight mono.

If there is no house PA I have a pair of big Mackie SRM450s that I can
wire up to the SRM150s.

Together it's a really big, satisfying, hi-fi sound.

I need stereo because I like to pan sounds around the room a lot.

And most mono FX sound pretty tame compared to stereo versions.

And a lot of the stuff I do in MaxMSP would be pretty ho-hum in mono.

If I could afford it, I'd even go quad like my pal Jeff Kaiser.

But I figure I have enough stuff to worry about at present.

Best,

Ted