Re: How an Ebow works..addendum

Charles Zwicky wrote:

Here's my simple explanation:

Nice explanation. (especially about the 2 coils, I didn't know that)

I'd add (more explicitly) that the ebow sounds very different
on an instrument with a magnetic p/u.

The output coil in the ebow is 'picked up' directly by the magnetic p/u
in a guitar. That's why you get that heavily distorted tone, and why by
careful positioning of the ebow you can get a very precise control of
dynamics.
(either move the ebow along the string, or lift it slightly to vary the
distance
from the p/u).

To avoid the distorted tone you can use the ebow over the fingerboard,
but it has to be a long way from the p/u.
....obviously piezos are immune.

The shape of the ebow, where it contacts the strings, is not only
to make it easy to position. Drawing the ebow across the strings gives a light plucking action
that can help to start the note. (that's how the arpeggios described
in the manual are possible).

andy