Re: Spawning musical ideas?

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Gmail <k3zz21@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lol that scares me. I won't know the progression if I do it that way :/
> or do chord progressions even matter?

I think everything matters. You just shouldn't rely on it, just make
sure you know about it. If you don't instantly hear one played single
note as the beginning of a melody or chord in a particular key and
maybe also some beginning to a "story" in an alternate key/tempo, if
you don't hear sound that way you must develop that ability. The way
to learn it is to listen and if that doesn't work right away just
listen more closely. A big mistake would be trying to play something
that "seems to fit in" because that will only build you a prison of
musical prejudices that will become hard to break free from. Just
listen assured there is always, always something to hear behind any
sound.

A good way to relate to music is the questions-and-answers approach.
Music can be like a discussion, one person says something and the
other person answers and says something else that kind of relates. And
so the chat develops naturally. This approach does also work for a
solo performing musician, you just keep that same attitude towards
your own playing. Play a phrase, shut up for a second to let it work
and follow up with something related. Alternate between "question" and
"answer" rather than playing one long line of notes. The beauty in
this method is that it works so well because we sometimes make
mistakes and the mistakes then will  become the seed for evolution.
When a mistake happens don't correct it, just listen to it as "a
question" and try to "answer"  in a civilized way. This will keep the
flow exciting.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com