Re: OT -if you release a digital album and no one hears it does it make a sound? (CD Baby)

I think CD Baby is a little dangerous for musicians trying to get
online. Not because they're doing anything wrong, but for 3 reasons:
1) It lets you publish music online without a quality control process.
2) Once that's done, musicians tend to think "There, now that's done!"
and expect the listeners and fame to result.
3) Audiences, reviewers and radio stations will frequently pigeonhole
you based on the first thing they hear from you.

Even though it's not good for the environment, I still believe that
people should think about putting out albums on CD. It's expensive,
but hopefully it gets you to thinking, "If I'm going to spend $1000 to
put this out - I'm going to make it the best statement I can make".
That's not to shoot down bandcamp pages - since bandcamp doesn't go to
itunes and the whole web, it's a great way to distribute music
globally while on a local mindset. For that reason I think bandcamp is
excellent.

Putting something out on a record label puts you in a community of
musicians. That helps because people who like the record label will
often check out more artists on the same label. Also, many (but not
all) record labels will be the first chance to have an honest critic
listen to your music. As musicians, we get used to listening to our
music a certain way - we may be more forgiving of a certain track or
mix because we've trained ourselves to listen "around" the flaws. A
new ear won't have the same experience. It's not a matter of making
your music conform - it's a matter of presenting you at your very
best. It's way better to release a 40 minute cd of all excellent music
than it is to release a 60 minute cd in which 40 minutes is excellent.

In the Bay Area, there's a number of small record labels. The one I'm
on makes me pay for the CDs, but they take care of all the mailing and
promotion, and I get the lion's share of any income. If you want to go
this route, check in with bands around you who are at your career
level. Some may have hooked up with these small record labels.

Without a record label, the best thing I can think of to do is to make
efforts to tie your music to that of live musicians. Do live shows
with bands like yours, make a podcast, etc. Send your CD to reviewers
who listen to music of folks at your career level. (Find out who they
are by googling for reviews of bands you identify with who are also
amateurs.) A note - many reviewers won't review web-only releases
because 1) there are so many of them and 2) They tend to not have the
same quality control of CD releases.

Honestly, I don't know what one does these days to get known. Those
are just a couple stabs in the dark.

When I think of myself as a target audience member, I'm probably
typical in that I'm very unforgiving of non-excellent music. I have
only so much time to look for new music, and many many artists who
have music. If I don't latch on to something within a few 30 second
samples, I'm probably not going to hear that artist again unless
someone whose opinion I trust tells me I should give them a second
chance.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com