Re: Creating a more flexible setup

Practice what? Just practice whatever aspect of music making until you
get a decent flow and don't have to think twice. For me it's more
about spending time with different instruments (including electronics
setups, like live looping) and explore what I am NOT capable of doing.
Then I'll do my best to avoid those areas (or make a statement by
destroying them) when making music. I think your goal must be to
create just as exiting music when practicing at home as you try do do
when on stage. Not sure if I would really call that "practicing"...
he, he.. maybe "practicing performing" ;-)

As for the weird looping I sometimes do you don't grow better *doing
it* all over (is in the common meaning of "practicing"). What makes
you better could be lying on a sofa thinking music and checking that
you instantly know how to physically create the sounds you're thinking
about when in front of your hands-on gear. Experience, knowledge and
the excitement of inspiration is way more important. But of course, if
you notice that your fingers don't move fast enough to the button you
know you need to press to make your vision come true - then you would
of course have to do some boring nerve and muscle training to form the
body into a decent instrument. But when doing that you really have to
be careful to not develop fixed chops! As soon as you master one thing
you have to leave it and practice something else, or you run the risk
of broilerizing yourself and fry your music ;-)

Per