Re: Re: OT: final mixing and mastering !Reverb

Hi Andy,
I hear and agree with all the things you say and would never
advise to use a convolution reverb as a panacea..........reverberation
is such a complex phenomenon that it would be silly to do so.

At the same time, reverbs have been used so unrealistically and
so ubiquitously in modern mixing that our ears are accustomed
to hearing lots of 'surreal' spaces and accepting them as legitimate.

There is a large degree of the reasonable suspension of disbelief in
audio processing these days,  just because so many people who don't really
understand acoustic spaces on a deep level,  misuse reverbs constantly.

What really sounds crappy, however, is drenching things in any reverb (unless it
is an effect that is specifically desired, ala ambient musics)

You talk about a very sophisticated solution which is a perfectly reasoned and elegant one but for Mark's purposes, I still stand by the recommendation for a couple of reasons:

1) it's a very simple solution that doesn't take a lot of time or monetary resources

2) the material is not going to be listened do over and over.............anything that sounds reasonable, especially if it is sparingly used, will be accepted by the film audience, imho. That may seem like to low a common denominator
of a solution, but I think it's still practical.

Thanks for your depth of understanding about the subject,  though.
I always learn something from your in depth posts.

respectfully,    Rick