Re: OT: final mixing and mastering Stereo Width

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> difference 1
>
> your resulting mix has swapped channels because you invert A
>  instead of B

THat's right but I don't regard it a difference since it just a normal
routine to swap it back with a L<>R fix on the summing master.

>> Mine
>> was:
>>
>> A invert both
>> B reverse channels L<>R
>> C mono on both channels
>

> difference 2
> (both methods have further steps not detailed here)
>
> you aren't defining that A and B should be mixed equally, that's
> important
> for creating what the user perceives unambiguously
>   as a width control. (which I assume *isn't* what you want to do)

Actually they can't! I was a defining that the the phase reversing
channel has to be a little lower in level. That is to avoid a total
"hole in the middle" effect. But matching it all is up to the user to
do by ear and to fit the musical situation.

> I guess your method works best for you,
> not suggesting you should change it.
> ...but I've no idea where it came from ;-)

Alan Blumlein originally I would guess, although he was working with
microphones and got kicked into it by cinema theater sound. I first
heard about this routing from a studio engineer, then I tried it out
of curiosity and found it useful in some situations.

Per