Re: Neuroscientist debunks the myth of musical instinct

Good post, Rick.. thnx.--

Nature/ Nurture?   What does it matter.  To what we apply our neural
capacity , becomes us.   Choice is the driver.

I like to think of music discipline, in its most essential form,  as
Craft, and like all Craft, it can be learned by any willing to invest in
the learning curve.    Would we say that Carpenters and Plumbers have to
be born with the nack in order to become gifted in their craft?  Probably
not.  Not one baby is born knowing how to read a blueprint or swing a
hammer.

Of course, some have more proclivity for one learning curve over another.
I certainly know young musicians whose nimble embrace of new music is both
inspiring and demoralizing to witness.  But even a shmuck like me can
learn to play music well enough to bring a smile or a tear to the
listener's cheek.

I am reminded of joining Bill and Rick Walker's amazing band, World's
Collide ages ago--  I auditioned as a guitarist but was asked to bring my
keyboard to the first rehearsal.  I told Rick, "but-- I don't really play
keyboard."  He said "but you own one right?--You have one working
finger?.. Ill show you the parts."   And so it is that I began playing
keys.. My instructor,  a drummer!!  - a great drummer indeed-- but a one
finger keyboardist!  In time, I managed to get my other 9 fingers into the
game.   I may never be Chick Corea (or a Scientoligist for that matter).
In fact, I will probably never have the facility on keys that I have with
guitar or with my voice. But the instrument is definitely in my arsenal
now and not because I was born a keyboardist or even a musician.  Only
because I put in the hours, one finger at a time.  :)

Daniel