Date: Friday, February 17, 2012 7:57:08 am
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
From: "Teddy Kumpel" <teddykumpel@mac.com>
Subject: Re: To those who make a living off of music

such an interesting topic...

Matt... Do you think you still find music interesting BECAUSE you decided
to stay away from institutional learning? I think you would have stayed
interested no matter what... you just found all the music school stuff too
far away from your goal and you didn't see the point at the time. Totally
understandable... there were things in school I pushed away for the same
reasons.... like learning George VanEps chord solos.... zzzzzz

my thought about this whole thing is:

if your goal is to be really really good at a very focused thing that
doesn't have harmony that changes quickly, like ambient music, you
probably don't need music school.

if you want to have a diverse skill set, music school is probably right
for you. I learned how to arrange for big band, how to compose a modal
jazz song, how to hear every chord from every mode of the 4 main modal
systems, all about jazz standards and chord substitutions, accompanying a
singer in a duo, what swing is.... and a whole plethora