Re: To those who make a living off of music

On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Per Boysen wrote:

>> On 2/17/12 12:35 AM, Teddy Kumpel wrote:
>>>
>>> studying with only one teacher boot camp style, while a good thing for
>>> all
>>> the reasons Rick said... is in no way a replacement for a great music
>>> school. totally different thing.
>>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Depends entirely on who that teacher is, Teddy.
>
> Or who the fellow students are, Rick & Teddy! ;-)
> There are schools where you may learn more from the buddies
> surrounding you in that environment. Just think about how many great
> bands have started "back at art school". This proves that it isn't
> "learning music" per se that boosts creativity but the social
> environment at the school where creative people inspire each other.
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen

for sure on both counts...

to Per: like I said in another post... some music schools suck so the
fellow students are not so high caliber. And.... yes, ALSO... it's, of
course, possible to not even be a music student and come up with an
amazing band with your friends who are also not music students... that's
not what we were discussing.

to Rick: I just mean that it's like comparing apples and oranges... 1 guy
teaching everything a whole school can teach can't be in any way similar
to being at a school where are not only a bunch of amazing teachers but
also a bunch of amazing students to learn from... even if all the material
taught in both situations is exactly the same... I don't believe one is a
replacement for another, even if they are both good or one costs less