Re: OT: Music School/Theory

> Has anyone here found themselves unable to enjoy music they could have
> once upon a time before they knew about the structures of music?  Or
> that they enjoyed things less once they understood the workings (or
> lack of workings depending on the music)?

For me, increased musical literacy has deepened my appreciation for the
craft of music without diminishing the mystery -- whether on the stage or
in the audience.

For instance, with respect to harmony--I recognize the elements of tension
and release in the movement from I to V chord and back again.  I did not
always know how to deconstruct the elements of music like this.  But just
because I do now, this has not in any way reduced the deeper meaning of
music for me.  The greater mystery for me is around the interplay between
biology and instrument - brain wave and sound wave.  Why do we get
gooseflesh when the back line drops out and the anticipated IV maj chord
turns out to be a iv minor?  These amazing experiences are what drew me to
music back when I was a child- before I had any ability to identify the
building blocks beneath the music.  These mysteries have only become
richer the more I have learned about the building blocks.

I have a related question.. perhaps rhetorical.  Do any of us feel that we
have lost the mystery of enjoying a good narrative because we learned to
spell, read, write, conjugate verbs and in all manner of ways learn to
express ourselves with great clarity? Did these skills undermine our
enjoyment of communication? Of movies?  Of Loopers Delight?

Enjoying you all.

Daniel