Re: Echoloop VST MIDI controller

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Phil Clevenger
<phil.clevenger@gmail.com> wrote:
> And Per, regarding this:
>
> "Instead you could set up a direct MIDI path into the Echoloop and feed
> it
> directly from your external MIDI control gear. "
>
> Not sure what that means but it sounds damned sexy ! Can you clarify?

Sorry, I took that for understood, as it is explained quite well in
the manual that comes with Live and also is included within the
application's GUI (the "Info View" box that can be kept open in the
lower left corner. Any object you hover the mouse pointer over will be
explained in that box)

There are two ways to pipe external MIDI directly into a plugin hosted
in Ableton Live.

1) Set up the plugin to listen to a MIDI In port.
I'm not sure Echoloop will let you do that, so let's skip that for this
time.

2) Route incoming MIDI by Live's preferences settings and Live's mixer
into the Plugin.

MIDI comes in through the MIDI In port. Your MIDI interface's MIDI
ports will be visible in Live's preferences setting's "MIDI Sync" tab.
For piping a MIDI In port's data directly to a plugin (but through a
Track) you need to set this MIDI In port as active for "Track" (there
are also "Sync" and "Remote"). Then close the preferences window and
chose a MIDI Track in Live's mixer. In this track's input slot you
chose the appropriate MIDI In port (if you want you can filter to pass
only one MIDI channel here). Set the track's Monitor to "In" (there
are also "Auto" and "Off"). In the "MIDI To" slot select the MIDI
Track where you have opened the plugin. Now, you may regard it tricky
with an audio looping plugin hosted on a MIDI Track, how to get your
audio input into the looper? Well, in Live the usual routing for that
is to first use an Audio Track to fetch the signal from the physical
audio input then send that track (by its "Audio To" slot addressing)
to a Return Track. The good news here is that a Return Track's output
can send to both Audio and MIDI Track's inputs.

Happy looping!

Per