Re: OT Laptop recommendation needed

That is a great tip, thanks Per!

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Art Simon <simart@gmail.com> wrote:
> The stock MacBook Pro internal hard drives all seem to be 5400 rpm, so I'd
> upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive or use an external drive like Per suggested.

I wasn't just thinking about drive speed when recommending an external
FW drive for recording. As important is that recording handles long
audio files under time pressure and that is something no computer
system is designed for. On both OS X and Windows recording can cause
issues to the system drive and we don't want that do we? The remedy
for the fragmentation of drive structure audio recording (and video
editing) can cause is to freshen up the drive now and then. On Windows
you can do that by running the Disc Defrag Utility while OS X does it
with a built-in background task. My way, that is way faster, is to
have two external drives and simply format one of them from scratch
and copy the content of the other one to the freshly formatted. It's
like ten to twenty times faster than the tedious defragmentation
procedure. If your time is money this is a good tip.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen