Re: so long -- and further off topic.

On Mar 3, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Paul Richards wrote:

There's actually one or two more similar articles on the New York Times/International Herald Tribune websites. Check out their sites.

Wages are pretty low there-like $11 USD /day i.e. Foxconn manufacturing. Also, another article was written by a person who surreptitiously interviewed people leaving the factories. 14 year olds were not uncommon.

So here we have the ideal manufacturing environment for US concerns: low wages, poor benefits, poor environmental regs, etc., etc.

How about the pollution from all those container ships?

Sad, very sad.

Isn't it funny and interesting how the "free" market and "free" enterprise "works" and for "everyone"? Uh-huh. Riiiiight.
More "free" markets fairy tales that the rest of us are all expected to simply "believe in" and to "trust", etc, blah blah blah.

Millions of previous good paying American jobs (and other countries' jobs) have been "outsourced" to China, and to India, Mexico, Malaysia, etc where there are also millions of dirt poor, desperate people, and the companies that moved to there are making RECORD PROFITS. And yet, when the products are sent back here (and elsewhere) the PRICES are either the SAME or sometimes even MORE than what was previously being paid for by consumers. And of course, the usual "excuse" for this due to "market forces" blah blah blah. And also, more often than not, the "quality" ain't the same.  Doesn't anyone see something wrong with this picture? I certainly do and I ain't no rocket scientist. It is also another reason why long ago I decided to cut WAY BACK on my purchasing and spending habits (and NOW I have NO choice due to my own economic situation! Yow!) and also decided to purchase only as much used stuff as was reasonable to do so, which has hovered around the 95% or more range of purchases. So far, this has mostly worked out in a positive way for me and I also don't have a lot of low value, useless crap laying around my place, which is just fine by me.

These companies are making out like bandits and yet most consumers either just gladly go along with it, with maybe a gripe or 2 every so often, and / or have no real "choices" anymore, once those companies corner certain markets that millions of consumers either have to rely on and / or or are addicted to, and as those companies squash or even kill off the competition completely. And, tough shite for any workers that get trampled or left in the dust in the process as those companies "grow" and "expand" and "innovate" and "merge" and prosper.  Welcome to "free" market "free" Kapitalism!   Got any "better" ideas?