Re: new iPB10

I do not agree with the idea of trying to make the tablet a "general
computing" machine.

I started using iOS nearly two years ago and the strength lies in the
idea of dedicating the devices to a handful of tasks, not tinkling of
them as multi-purpose units. Well, at least not yet.

With more memory and processing power, yes, we'll see increased
simultaneous application of effects, but I think that way madness lies
— look at what has happened on the "computer" side. As memory capacity
and processor speeds have increased, we have seen the bloat of the OS
and the applications themselves, "just because it's there and we
(software developers) can use it." The idea of efficient code keeps
getting lost in the shuffle.

I, for one, would LOVE to see Evoloop compiled for iOS, because I'm
not interested in trying to run all my effects through a single
device. That latter approach is what I see as the greatest weakness of
the iPB10. In fact, it has been that approach and attitude in general
that have kept me away from using a computer for live performance in
the first place. It wasn't until I started using tools like bidule,
which have relatively lighter processing demands, that I was even able
to think about it. Using a Hackintosh netbook as a "dedicated"
processor was finally possible (and affordable!).

The same approach can be used with tablet devices (well, if Android
will ever catch up!). Being able to use an iPod, which can be picked
up relatively cheaply, or a used iPhone in this manner suddenly opens
up some interesting possibilities.

If Apple really does unleash a new and more powerful iPad, then the
2nd Gen iPads should come down in price, especially the used market,
and with their multi-tasking capability life could get very
interesting very quickly.

Best to all,

Dennis

http://soundcloud.com/usrsbin