I ditched my tube amps five years ago. The only things I've given up are amp volumes that can't be dialed down low enough for the room, unexpected (and costly) maintenance, flaky sound and behavior, and roughly sixty pounds of stuff to carry.

David
http://lamkins-guitar.com/

On 03/13/2012 01:36 PM, Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:
From: Marcus Kirby <marcusloops@gmail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:15 PM
Subject: OT: How to mix guitar/synth/drum machines? Guitar DI vs Amp?

I'm using a mono synth, guitar with a bunch of pedals, and some drum samples in ableton.

I have a bit to haul around, so I'm trying to minimize the amount of equipment that I have. Which leads me to....

Issue One: Guitar DI vs Amp
I have a fender bandmaster reverb that sounds amazing. It isn't feasible to carry around the amp+cab, pedals, keyboards, etc. This has led me to going DI, but alas, it sounds bad. I've considered a small 1x12 mic'ed, but then the fullness of the guitar starts to take everything over. Is there any way to get a decent sound running DI? Can I somehow run a dummy load from my amp head, then send the line out signal to my interface? What about running the output of ableton to my tube amp?