Re: Graphic equalizer

An important aspect of any EQ curve is how steep it is, how many dBs
it affects. Right from the top of my head now I'm pulling common
figures of 48 dB, 24 dB, 12 dB and 6 dB. Then there are also different
types of curves, like for example the shelf filter that affects all
frequencies above, if a high shelf or below if a low shelf, the actual
set frequency. Another example is the bell type EQ that affects
frequencies around the actual set level, and then you use a "q" value
how wide this affected band should be. The type of EQ curve that I
have found being able to fully strip off all sound are the low/high
cut and low/high pass type of filters. Normally they are used at the
upper and lower part of the total frequency band but if breaking the
rule and use a low cut filter at the upper range it would of course
cut out everything and make silence at a maximum gain/slope cut.

I don't see the point in investing time in looking for a free plugin
because EQ is something fundamental that you always use, an investment
for life just like any instrument you want to play. So IMO investing
in a commercial product will pay back to you and other serious users
in the future. One very good plugin is Pro-Q that FabFilter makes:
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q.php

I posted a video that shows some of the benefits of Pro-Q.
http://youtu.be/DoauENSblfU
Not that many other plugins will let you automate dynamical
equalization through out a recorded track but any studio engineer
would agree to the sonic benefits of the Pro-Q's. The developer has
made a bunch of great instruction videos that also are very
interesting and educational:
http://youtu.be/kSNYBbPAvKE

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen