Re: Re: Re: loops with a drummer?

Guess I'll chime in a little bit here: I don't necessarily agree about points made earlier, that there has to be a click or something similar. It just needs to be something that's rythmic. It can be a bass loop, a drum loop, a cowbell...whatever. It's all about proper monitoring, and musicianship. As long as the person(s) holding the groove down can hear the loop/click/whatever that dictates the tempo, and he/she/they are skilled musicians, they should be able to keep that rythm without drifting. And the other musicians just follow along.

I like this thread, gives some good ideas. But I just don't like excuses. Keeping time, and learning about rythm takes time and lots of practise. Something many people need to focus more on, guitarist, singers, drummers, etc...

In my experience the two biggest factors in terms of keeping time is 1. proper levels - things start to drift if instruments/vocals that are not "time keeping"/playing on the beat overpowers the time keeping instrument(s) in volumen. And 2. poor musicianship -> learn to have rock solid rythmic timing in everything you play and NO MATTER WHAT INSTRUMENT YOU PLAY

I like the idea of in-ear with cans over them. I've done that in the past drumming: molded in-ear's with 15db filters and closed pro studio monitoring headphones on max volume. Best of both worlds: you hear the click/beat, you hear the other musicians, you feel the click (because it's playing so loud) AND you don't ruin your ears, cause you got in-ears underneath. (and if they're proper cans, they seal off the music well enough to not get obtrusively into overhead mic's etc. (Just be carefull not to ruin the headphones)