Re: Re: Re: Re: loops with a drummer?

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
What I've discovered is one can understand extremely complex rhythms (syncopations, polyrhythms and odd
meters)  if they understand the sub-pulse in the rhythm in question.

Nothing to do with drumming but just regarding this point from Rick, I remember struggling with Jungle Music (which ostensibly became Drum and Bass years later) I hated the clickety clackety stop start rhythms and was more into the metronomic four on the floor of techno and industrial IDM.
However, I always make it a DUTY of mine to listen and listen to new musics that come along, till I GET why the kids are digging it... I refuse to be left behind, I might still prefer Can, Kraftwerk or the Pistols, but I think I get Merzbow, or Skrillix or Lady Gaga for fuck sake...

Anyway...

Once I was round the house of Colin Newman (the singer in the band Wire) and we were smoking a big one and listening to music, and he told me he loved Jungle, especially purely instrumental Jungle. I told him I hated it, and he said.." listen again... this time ignore the tinny speeded up Amen break, just hear the bass and the pulse..."
So he put on a 12"...
In a second I became a fan...
Suddenly this irritating music, became some of the deepest dub from Lee Scratch or King Tubby...
Its all in the pulse...

And I agree... when playing drums with loops, listening for the underlying groove or pulse is the way to play...

When you drive you dont look out of the side window at the verge of the road to help you steer, you look far far ahead in front of you...

Mark

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com