From: Kevin Cheli-Colando <billowhead@gmail.com>
Sent: Apr 9, 2012 1:57 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Blending music with photography

In my experience, playing with visuals happening simultaneously with
the music (slide shows or VJ stuff) really alters the level of the
music (and in a good way).  This seems to be true regardless of
whether or not the players can see the visuals (so long as there is an
audience there to reflect the 'energy' of their experience).

My favorite story about this:

I was running projections for a friends band and one clip among many
was Harry Smith's Abstractions.  I was projecting on the band so they
couldn't see what was playing at any given time.  During the night,
they were playing well enough when this piece came on and suddenly,
the music just shot up to an entirely different place, really
intensely focused and happening.  The Abstractions piece ended and the
band slowly drifted back to where they had been at before that piece
(about 10-15 minutes later I think).  I might have written this off as
a fluke except weeks later I witnessed the same phenomena at another
gig (all improvised tunes so no setlist in advance).  Very cool stuff.

Kevin