Re: Looper's Delight misconception

Exactly. The San Francisco experimental/improvised music community has a site called bayimproviser.com, which similarly has some elements that are out of date.

I think the secret is to keep the number of pages to a minimum - just the number you're willing to keep up to date yourself, or that can be auto-maintained by members.

For example, if someone wanted to update loopers-delight.com, the changes I'd suggest are:
--Get rid of MOST of the links/menu items from the first page.
--Keep "Tools of the Trade", but only if someone can keep it up to date. Let members contribute reviews to gear.
--Clear out the Artist Profiles and start again. (Probably only a small percentage are current.) New profiles would have: Artist Name, Instrument(s) (100 character max), description of music (100 character max), location, upcoming shows (see below) and URL. Add some sort of validation that hides the profile if the URL link is no longer active. The idea would be to keep this page clean and easy to navigate, while driving viewers to the artists' own pages.
--Allow artists to submit calendar events, but only show events that are happening in the future. (See www.bayimproviser.com/calendar) If an artist has an upcoming gig on their calendar, show that as a link with 1 line of descriptive text on the artist's profile.
--Have one link for News/Tips/History. From that link, provide links to the different "important" articles, with dates. Allow members to contribute articles/tips, etc, but sort articles their by date, with most recent at top.
--Have one link called "Products" for the T-shirts, Compilation CDs, etc.)

Having a big resource is good, but when I land on a site, and see mostly content that's more than 3 years old, it starts feeling musty. Remember that many of the people looking to learn about looping are younger folks, so making an attempt to highlight a larger diversity of "well known" artists - if a kid in high school is checking the site out, and all she sees featured are Caucasian guitarists over the age of 40 and articles about the great things that happened in 1996, there's a good chance she's going to associate looping with being "an old guy thing". Great job on this video page: http://www.livelooping.org/musicians/listeners-port/  and the link on that page to http://www.youtube.com/livelooping

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com