Re: "Mainly Vocal" looping performances: help in deciding which tools

The sport is called requirements engineering, and it's not that much fun (at least for most musicians ;).
Seriously, though, I generally see two ways to go:

1. find out what exactly you need, then get the device which comes closest.
This is (in theory) the cheapest version, but then again, how would you know: do you need independent parallel loops (such as the LP1 offers), or are you happy with one loop with multiple tracks (e.g. 2880, Repeater OS 1.x). Do you really need multiple tracks, or is your music built in a way that you can use undo/redo to accomplish the same? Do you ever intend to use variable feedback (this is an important one)?

Maybe you don't know the answer to all those questions, but luckily, there's another way: 2. get a looper which is cheap and play with it. Find its limits. Look which functions/features you use the most, and which you don't. Then, based on that, find out which device you really need - and sell the first one (or keep it because by now, you've come to like it). There's a lot of loopers out there which come in cheaply (especially if they got replaced by more advanced models. Boss DD20 and Line6 DL4 can be had for around €150 - and a great many accomplished loopers have done things using just one of them or maybe a pair (examples for DL4: Rick Walker, Matt Davignon, Matt Stevens - for DD20: Jeff Duke, Ted Killian and I assume many more).

Yours,

Rainer

(who believes in the power of Möbius, still sometimes uses simple loopers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8iXR6grc4
loopers in the setup included Boss DD20, Line6 M9, EH SMM w/Hazari and Korg KP3 - don't know which one I used on this, but I think it was the Boss)

Sergio G schrieb:
Hello Jeff!

Yes :)
And it is quite cryptic for me.
If a musician who used loopers and knows, sees this table, he can understand all. But I cannot :) Also, there are strange things. For example, I thought with 2880 you had 4 tracks, one more than rc-300 (which btw is not in the table), but it says: "no multiple parallel loops. ONE loop may have four track." While in RC-50 says "3 parallel loops". SO I cannot understand the difference. Oh, damn, so the 2880 has got no undo??? Mmmmmmm. THat is bad because it means that everytime instead of directing overdubbing a track I should before record on another track and is I like it then merge. AM I right?

:)