Re: OT: Tangerine Dream

On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:33 AM, richard sales wrote:

1975. If I remember correctly, TG had these HUGE racks of computers.  Like towers maybe 8 or 9 feet tall.  They could have been props.

Those were their early Moog (and?) modular synths and not computers. They also certainly were not "props". :-) But, just the thought of
being able to experience numerous large Moog modular synths live and LOUD makes me swoon with delight!

And, LUCKY YOU that you got to see / hear them in THAT era!  The earliest and only time I ever got to experience TD live was in the
*very early* 80s (1982? 83?), but it was still very kool and it was a FREE show and OUTDOORS at an amphitheater!  But, as I recall,
there were not many of those modulars still being used, if any, but I could be wrong. This was many years ago, so...:-)

Andy Summers (The Police) opened for them, but he seemed to be having a "bad day" judging from his "attitude" on stage.
But, at least he still played well enough. It was a pleasant late afternoon in Dallas TX of all places.
(But I got the hell out of that city over 20 years ago and migrated to the wonderful PNW!)

-----
It's encouraging to hear, Matt, that Morton Subotnick is still being creative.  Very cool. I'll have to check it out.

Good news, indeed!

I was just thinking this morning about how Morton Subotnick (of
"Silver Apples of the Moon" fame, an early synthesizer record) still
manages to compose music that is fascinating without remaining stuck
in an era. Yet some other composers (Aphex Twin, Klaus Schulze, etc)
became less interesting after a certain number of years. With the
latter, the pattern I notice is that in later years they tried to
adjust their music to match what's popular at the moment, which of
course puts them in a field with a lot of competition.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Tangerine Dream's later music, but my
impression from hearing a few samples is that they tailored some of
their music to a general audience (seeking soundtrack & commercial
work) instead of a specialized audience (with the space music). At the
same time, they updated their technology from large bulky synths with
a lot of personality to more modern midi instrumentation (which in the
80s and 90s sounded rather sterile).

On a related note, my radio show/podcast last week was a Space theme
again: http://ribosomematt.podomatic.com/

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com