Re: Flying with a guitar... or not

There is always risk, of course, but why don't you wrap it in bubble wrap,
put cardboard around that, then more bubble wrap, then more cardboard etc.
until it is as big as allowed. Also make sure the guitar can't move in a
direction inside the case that could break the headstock, for example.
Then demand/plead to have it hand carried onto the plane. I would
investigate different airline's reputations. I brought back a very
delicate Baroque guitar to Japan in April and it ended up being hand
carried. That way it doesn't come through the machines at the luggage
carousels.

On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:55 AM, Tim Mungenast wrote:

> Hi Gang!
>
> I am deeply honored to be able to play this year's festival. One thing
> that keeps me awake, though, besides performance anxiety, is something
> even more horrible than modern air travel: modern air travel with a
> guitar. Out of all my guitars, I cannot think of a single one that I
> would willingly risk to careless or felonious baggage handlers or
> overzealous members of the Security Industrial Complex. Sneaking a few
> pedals into my onboard bag should be easy, but the guitar is a much
> bigger deal.
>
> Therefore I think I'd be best served by a guitar that will fit onboard
> and be playable but not something I'll get all sentimental over. Should
> I just look for a vintage Hondo II Chiquita (ka-ching!$) or an Erlewine
> Lazer (ka-ching again!)? I've been told that even those Hohner
> Steinberger copies are getting pricey. Maybe one of those novelty
> mini-strats? Any ideas would most welcome and greatly appreciated.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch
http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/