Re: Octatrack vs Ableton Live quick help

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Sergio G <simpliflying@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I with Ableton and some controller create a loop quickly, real time,
> and
> then overdub, undo, redo, create other loops, stop, restart, pause,
> restart,
> mute, time strech, pitch shift, effect, etc, with just ableton, quickly,
> on
> stage, no dead times?
> And with Octa?

That's a lot of questions! Have you read the manual for the two
platforms and compared their feature sets and processing power with
what you're planning to do? If you really plan to do all those things
I would guess the Octa would work better. But if you are looking at
electronic mash-up artists (for example Tim Exile, Squarepusher, Jamie
Lidell) they all tend to specialize in avoiding certain actions that
their platform of choice isn't well suited for. The hardest DSP is
time-stretching and pitch-shifting. For audio already recorded on a
drive that's not a big deal, but doing it in a live stream is kind of
against the laws of physics - and here the most elegant cheater wins
;-).

To make the comparison fair you also need to calculate on the cost of
the audio interface the laptop will need. An interface that can give
you as good sound as the Octa may cost more than half the price of the
Octa. And you also have to think about the time needed to find and
learn a controller and to set it up well with Live.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen