Re: Fripp news

In the 1990s as I understand it the only profitable tours were done by the Grateful Dead. $40 for a ticket, great parking lot action, lots of love and togetherness thanks to the massive fan base they'd developed over the years, and a great show. The big companies were watching, as I was told by a fellow at Jobete Music when I was IT Director there. Unfortunately those guys have executive perks and salaries, and tons of greed. Thus the $190 tickets began to appear for U2 etc.

That's 20 years ago. It might be the "new old business model" after all. The economics of music production, management, and so on have begun to change again, as I see it. In 2004 I was asked to lend the use of a cartoon I'd done for a Christmas card, to a group of volunteer firemen from PA, who had a brass band. They played strictly locally, and in parades. They used DiscMakers to make a CD of Christmas songs, and used the cartoon for the cover. They only sold it to raise funds for new equipment, locally. They didn't NEED to make money in order to do their own thing. It was a hint to me that this world we cohabit was changing again. I don't know what's coming specifically, but it sure isn't what we've been seeing in the past.

-----Original Message----- From: Per Boysen
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 5:33 AM
To: Loopers-Delight
Subject: Re: Fripp news

"The old business model" was based on the fact that records sold well.
This made it possible for a record label to organise tours that did
not make any money except for the money generated as future record
sales generated by the concerts.

Funnily many of today's musicians see touring as "the new business
model" and you can in fact make money from it if you keep costs down
and plan it as a business that has to make ends meet. Not that the
economy in D-I-Y touring has grown better, it is rather like it's what
we have left after the decline of the CD market. The few times I've
been able to cram gigs into a tour, like for example playing 20 times
in a 30 days span, I have always come out with enough money to buy a
great new instrument (since I tend to keep some on-the-side job too,
thus not having to put all the touring money into food and rent).

As I read that article on Fripp he was quoted saying he is giving up
making music to focus on the business. I understood that as he is
becoming his own management to keep following up legal rights to his
music of the past. Reminds me of the tendency among record labels to
stop seeking out new great music in favor of focusing on dealing with
the legal rights to their back catalogue. What new will ever come to a
world where every one just keeps suing everyone else?

The daily life of any professional musician is about 90 percent
administration and 10 percent music making. Maybe Fripp just got bored
with the admin side not being handles well (by whatever management he
used to work with) and thinks he can do it better by himself?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Stephen Goodman