Re: Performing at school Friday, random wave of low confidence has struck again

I totally agree - lack of applause definitely doesn't mean anything.
On the other hand, it can be an incentive to improve our playing, our presentation.
For me, one of the great rewards of playing music is this drive to improve.  It's like the perfect Sudoku puzzle.
Once you catch that bug of eternal improvement, music transforms from being a hobby and maybe a way to make money (plus meet the opposite sex, get applause etc) into a way to learn more about who you are and what your strengths and weaknesses are.
Lack of applause is not a reason to despair or give up.  But anything that inspires us to get better, work and dream harder, is a very good thing.

There is no musician on earth who can't improve.  One of the tricks is to learn how to balance that desire to improve with simultaneously accepting who and where you are.   When onstage, be comfortable with who and where you are (applause or no applause).  In the privacy of home, the studio, jamming with friends etc, work your butt off to improve.

Trust your gift while polishing it.

The trick is to enjoy both aspects of music (working to improve your chops and relaxing with, loving and being grateful for what you have)... and to use these assets to improve your career.

I'll check out your video later today.  Pretty busy.

Hope all this isn't confusing or offensive.  I'm getting old!