Re: Interface recommendations

I can vouch for the fireface 800 if that's what your looking at from
RME.  Very good quality, lots of IO, but the clincher for me is the
stability of the drivers on OS X...  I've had no issues at all since
acquiring it last year (I had to wait a year before upgrading to
Lion).  In all my years playing music with computers, this has been
the only no hassle audio interface I've own.  It's also the most
expensive I've ever bought, so maybe there's a link there (or maybe
I'm just trying to justify my expensive purchase).

I haven't looked at daisy chaining, since I only have one and I don't
need more I/O, but it can serve as a firewire hub for other RME units
(I think).

The killer feature is all the routing you can do within the unit from
inputs to outputs back to inputs...  you can create routing presets
and select them via midi (this even works without a computer).  This
allows you to keep things plugged in, yet maintain flexibility in your
audio path.

I'm sure there are other good options, this is just the one that made
the most sense for me.  As always when buying equipment, its probably
more useful to make a list of features that important to you and
comparing that to what's on offer.

Here are some of the things I was considering when I decided on FF800:
- great preamps
- at least 8 ins and outs
- digital outs
- firewire hub (for external HD when recording)
- stand alone use
- stability with OS X
- midi controllable
- fits in my case (1U)