Re: What kind of techniques can I add to my set?

I'm a big fan of "dirtying it up" - finding ways to downplay or trying
to work around the inherent predictability of loop-based performance.

Post loop fx can make a big difference - especially on things like
drum loops. If you get some sort of randomizing effect, or even an two
sequential LFO effects that are not in time with the music (keeping
the LFO depth fairly shallow), it can liven up the sound quite a bit.

When I'm working with synthesizer sounds, I like using an external
overdrive pedal, filter and volume pedal better. This could be simply
because I'm not very good at synthesizers, but I find the sound gets
more "alive" and the distortion is much more responsive to subtle
changes in volume when it's external.

Another big thing I try to do is get things "out of the grid" - having
automated elements that are outside the loop, such as drones or
cassette recorders. You can use a deck of cards to hold down keys on
many keyboards. Currently my drum machine rig has 4 different loopers,
specifically to get things happening at different intervals.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com