Re: I want to take on an IDM style of looping

One of the easiest to define characteristics of IDM for me was the use
of very short drum/percussion sounds. It was the opposite of trip hop,
where the lots of fx and reverb were added to the rhythm tracks. Lots
of IDM also imitated the sounds of skipping CDs and digital errors.
That can be done by editing your samples so that they start in the
middle of a sound instead of at the beginning. Also, to get that click
sound, set the beginning of your sample to NOT be at a zero crossing
(point at which the amplitude is 0db)

One of my favorite bands, Efterklang, put out a couple really great
records that combined small ensemble-type instruments (like piano,
strings and horns) with IDM-style electronics. Check out their record
"Parades"

On a related note, can I tell you how happy I am that people finally
got tired of amen breaks?

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com