Re: MIDI synch multiple loopers/samplers?

Well I really do love Ableton Live and Propellorhead's Reason and I agree about getting a Mac for the ultimate performance out of software.  It's just that part of me grew up playing guitar and bass so I also really love playing with stomp boxes and connecting hardware to make analog synthesis sounds, noise and all.  The software is perfect for clean editing and routing but there is something unpredictable about playing with old gear and trying to make it musical.  I guess I'm trying to bridge the old and new without giving up on either one.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com> wrote:
And Im still using the same set-up that Per said he used to use! I have a Repeater and 2 EDPs. I agree with Per that getting rock solid synch between Repeater and the EDPs is fragile at the most, but weirdly I dont care about that. The EDPS are totally perfectly synched, with some exceptions after a few weird combination of commands , reverse and half speed can have issues...
The repeater suffers from only being able to synch to a relatively narrow BPM range, so I often have to "Change down" the gears in EDP, to get it to follow. But in a way its one of the nice features. I have half my gear synched to one EDP and the other half (delays, and a cool effects sequencer (Roland EF303) to the other EDP. and a drum machine, arpegiation on a guitar synth,  and an analog sequencer thats sends out CV to a few effect pedals. So by flipping between different 8th settings (as its known on the EDP - or divisions of the tempo), I can affect the speed between devices.

Its a headache... frankly...  and a noisy headache too... (dodgy cables and bad levels)  but I still prefer it to my much more compact software solution, as it keeps me away from Facebook,  checking my mail, watching films, making computers games, editing films, fiddling with my website, and writing idiotic blogs... let alone getting the f***ing software to work...

If I was starting now, Id say step away from the black boxes and flashing lights, and run, not walk to the mac store... but for me its too late, I have already pressed my bloody finger against the invisible fingers of my hard metal friends, and we are destined to loop together forever.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM, astralmnemonics@gmail.com <astralmnemonics@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Per

I just have to invest the time into actually playing around with my gear enough to be able to get what I want and know what I'm doing to get there.
-----Original Message-----
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:33:08 pm
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
From: "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: MIDI synch multiple loopers/samplers?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Ben Edwards <astralmnemonics@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many of you are using multiple loopers/samplers linked together for
> layering?

Not me... :-) Any more.

I have done it, sort of, in the past. Not for layering though, since
sync between devices didn't lock up well. In the slave sync position I
used a multi track looper (Electrixpro Repeater) and since it offered
four parallel mono tracks per loop I used that device for laying down
stuff that I wanted to go tight together, even though I time-shifted
tracks etc inside the box. The Repeater was constantly busy to follow
MIDI Clock signal coming from my main looper, an EDP. So whenever I
changed tempo in the EDP the slave looper fell into an epileptic time
loops and rubber-band-repelled back into a non defined range hovering
around the correct tempo. The EDP though was rock solid so I used that
one for layering parts that need to sit tight with rhythm.

I think this approach is good to use with all MIDI Clo

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com