Re: Korg Microsampler as a looping tool

Sergio Girardi <simpliflying@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mmm, a bit complicated. The loops must have all the same length, right?
> THe same of the first one.
Hi Sergio,

That's what he's using in this case, yes.
The pedal is just to "arm" recording', then you have to press the key
on which to record. As he doesn't want to do it by hand, he has
prepared a 2 bars pattern as a "container" of "empty" slots
(note-on/note-off). Each slots is indeed 2 bars long (or almost so as
the note-off is a bit before the note-on when the pattern restarts).
He could have choosen some note as 1/4, 1/8, or whatever and any
pattern he likes. It's a bit like using an MPC, preparing the sequence
(midi) then only adding the sound later.
The sequence is just needed to trigger the recording and then trigger
the newly recorded sample. The MS has several sampling modes and he's
using "sampling triggered by a note for a given amount of time
(2bars)."

> Or well, surely not more, or it happens what happened with the last loop
> to him.WHat if while preparing the slots you press the key less time
> than the first loop's length?

With this technique the loop will be shorter but still retriggered
every 2 bars by its note-on event so still in sync.
You can do stutter effects if you like or do "replace" like in
EDP/LPx, then change the pattern for other effects. The difference is
that you can do this on 36 "tracks".

So, there is no way to just press play and start recording and press
again to stop recording and start playing, deciding on your own the
length of each loop?

you can not do REC/PLAY, no. Its REC/STOP/PLAY but there are other
modes (gate mode) where you can decide the length of course. It's a
nice way to do quick multisampling. Just connect an external module
via midi and record it's output. ARM sampling, play a "scale" on the
MS keyboard; it will trigger the sound module and sample at the same
time while the key is down.

I haven't touch my MS for a while, but this video gave me the envy to
start again.

Ben