Re: OT: '64 AC30 For Sale

Jeff,

There are probably a lot of folks on this forum who can't read TGP Emporium posts. IIRC, you need to be a TGP member to access that page.

Probably best to post the full details here and links to the pix.

Whoops....you're almost certainly right, Philip. Thanks!

Here's the description from TGP. Pics available upon request. My friend was hosting most of them, so if I can get the link from him, I'll post it.

-------------

FS: 1964 Vox AC30 T

This is copper panel, non-top-boost amp, Albion transformers, with original silver speakers. A rear top boost could certainly be added, if desired. But, imo, with a Treble amp, there's really no need. It already has all of the chimey top end anyone would want, and a boost pedal in front of it would goose it just enough to give the classic Top Boost sound in spades. (In fact, I highly, highly recommend the brand new Catilinbred Galileo pedal for that very purpose. It kills!! I just tried it with my other Voxes,and it was jaw dropping.) This amp sounds incredible by just plugging any guitar straight into the Brilliant channel. And the Normal channel is no slouch either.

When I bought this amp a couple years ago, it was touted as "the best AC30 we've ever heard". Hyperbole aside, it really *is* that good. The store I bought it from is Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. I spoke at length to a tech out there who went through the amp, *who is not employed by the store* (which was key for me), and he told me it indeed was the best AC30 he'd ever heard, and he's worked on hundreds. He basically said, "Congrats...you'll own the best AC30 anywhere if you buy this thing." So, I bit the bullet and grabbed it. I would urge anyone who wants to buy this amp to call and talk to him. He'd probably remember it.

I probably overpaid for it at the time in my enthusiasm and haste, and I certainly did based on today's market. I think I paid $5500, which is quite high. But I'd take $3500 for it now.

So, the obvious question: If it sounds so damn good, why would I sell it?

Well, for one thing, I have 3 other JMI AC30s and two modded AC30 reissues. After doing some A/B-ing, I think my '63 AC30 (also with Albions) with the rear top boost added on sounds very close to this '64 Treble amp. Both amps sound out of this world. If I didn't have to part with either of them, I wouldn't. However, I've recently bought several guitars, which means some tough decisions need to be made about what gear goes and what stays.

Every guitar I throw at this amp sounds terrific--and I have them all (humbuckers, single coils, P 90s; Strat, Tele, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Les Paul, 335...you name it).

I also have a used flight case I would throw in for shipping.

I can send more pics, of course, to interested buyers. Contact me here or directly at jcshirke AT frontier DOT com

Thanks,

Jeff