Re: Tennis Elbow

Hi Luis,
I had something similar from learning renaissance lute.
All those hard chord shapes, the temptation was to use a bit more
force to hold the strings down....bad idea.

If you wanna see someone about it, by far the best choice is a physiotherapist. Those are the guys that actually understand
the cause of the problem and what needs to be done.
Probably a one off consultation would get you
on track.
This is my fix
1) Rest it till the pain stops.
 is "trying to use those Bill Walker chords"....
but this time, make sure your hand is relaxed, and stop as soon as you get
problems.
A good idea to try fretting a few notes, and then experimenting to see how
little
 force you need from the left hand. Reduce the force till the note
rattles, just
 to get an idea, and spend enough time so that you know how to give just a
little extra
  push at the start of the note (where the force needs to be a little
greater than
  on a sustained tone.
3) More rest, avoid long playing sessions.

4) non-steriodal anti-inflammatories such as Iboprofen, (Nurofen) help too.

andy

Luis Angulo wrote:
Hi Folks,
since august i stated having pains im my left arm,specially around my elbow and wrist. I have problems gripping anything,specially the fretboard of the gutiar or even holding a glass full of water this seems to be a common problem not only with tennis players or golfers but also with guitarrists,celloists,vilolinists,drummers etc.
im currently doing a therapy but i question its effectiveness
Has anybody suffered from this? what kind of solutions did you find or would recommend?
thanx!
Luis
http://www.myspace.com/luisangulocom