Re: Re: Music Notation symbols for loops?

On 12/31/2012 4:17 AM, Per Boysen wrote:
  I once had a
chance to study a score by Elliot Sharp for an octet and he had simply
penned in instructions in plain English to the musicians on the bars
where that made more sense then traditional notation symbols.
Yeah, Per, in even simpler contexts, I often notate the percentage of swing when writing out a transcription
of , say,  a New Orleans 2nd Line rhtyhm that has a certain kind of feel.

It's all notation, whether verbal or symbollic, so the point is ,"How clearly can I communicate to the musicians
what I intend to be done"

To me, on a piece of paper writing something like this makes sense when notating synchronized loops of different lengths (sorry, I can't find a music notation font, but you get the idea).

LOOP #1 (hi hat)
*4/4  ||:  X * X X * X * X X * X * X X * X**:||*

LOOP #2 (clave)
*