In case anyone wants to know about this event, check this: http://www.thegoaproject.com/

cheers
nilesh

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM, <emmanuel.reveneau@free.fr> wrote:
I've done several workshops with young people who weren't musicians at all, and the strategy depends of the time (one session,several...), the number (a little group or a class), the context. First, as fabio, I always do a quick but complete presentation of the history of looping with old videos, also speak about the digital technology, about bruitism and random methods too, and show them some videos of weird music to cause them a radical cognitive opening about what is possible to do with the music (I use some japanoise or strange electronic music, or pygmies, etc). Second, for a small group, I prepare three or four loopers (I use a RC 20, a jamman, a RC 50 and a computer) with an acoustical installation for each one, usually an open tuning guitar with objects (spoon, bottleneck...) and a distortion pedal, a mic with flutes, sanza, harmonica or whatever, a light drum kit and a keyboard. All the loopers and instruments are organized in circle on the floor, and not synchronized. Third, they learn the functions of the loopers and practise (and I use a lot the principle of empty loops). I love to observe who is comfortable with which instrument (recently, I met a 12 years girl who revealed herself very pertinent on the prepared guitare and the looper, with a very texturizing approach. A boy was, him, very attracted by the piano and by repetitive music in major tune, so he worked on my computer with four synchronized loopers). After, for small groups, they can make improvisations following this shema : the first begins an impro and has to loop on each worstation, the second comes and must decrease the precedent impro to install his own, and so on. After three sessions of two hours of theory and practise, five chidren can create this music by their own  : https://soundcloud.com/lucidbrain-integrativeproject/the-electronical-teens-second (it's a cut mix of a 25 minutes improvisation).
The most important I think with this loop installation is to obtain independant soundfields (Rythm with the drum kit, rythm/harmony with the guitar, melody with the keyboards and the flutes) they can manage intuitively. Instruments are a necessity, most of the children are very shy with their voice.
With a school class, things are more difficult. You can do a demo, a collective improv but it isn't very interisting in my experience.
For a class of 25 pupils, I created once a video sampler. I filmed them making sounds with their voice, put the video samples in Arkaos and the week after each of them improvised a few minutes with a keyboard and the projection of their faces in split screen. Some were absolutely fabulous on the keyboard manipulations and had never done that before.
Last thing, but more easy with adults, inspired by soundpainting : I did workshop only with the voice, but I used people as looper, whispering  one to one a melody or a sound they had to sing until I changed the sound.
Another method, but with adults, inspired by soundpainting : I did a choral workshop using the singers as loopers, just whispering  to each singer a melody or a sound in his ear he had to sing until I changed his sound. Very fun, we wrote a libretto around aphasia and prepared a public performance during two days.
Well, sorry to be extensive, I really love doing that, children are very fresh with music, and I always dream to create some vocations and a future noisy glitch scene here, in the middle of nowhere.
well, the good way to do a workshop is I suppose to be intuitive, to immerse people quickly in creative  processes and to give them methods that authorize them to manage their own discovery of music.
Anyway, just do it, workshops are always a good experience at least for the teatcher.
Emmanuel.

----- Mail original -----
De: "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com>
À: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Envoyé: Mercredi 30 Janvier 2013 01:07:02
Objet: Re: Livelooping Workshops

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
> I thought of maybe doing something interactive, like, going around with a
> microphone and putting everyone's vocals or percussion into the loop ...

That seems like a fun thing to do! I use to gather the people sitting
on chairs in a circle around a mic that I have cabled into Möbius. We
pass around the foot pedal to loop and people can add to each others
loop as layers or make a parallel loop if they like. I keep a big
screen with the Möbius GUI so everyone can see exactly what loops are
running, how long they are etc.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com