Realistic drum programming/recording for songs

Hi folks

I'd like to lay down somewhat realistic acoustic drums for song writing
purposes (pop ballads, funk, latin, world) in home recording environment.
Currently, I program drums in Logic Pro. I also have an acoustic drum set
at work where I can play basic drum grooves that reasonably ok.
However, I don't have a good sounding kit and have no experience
whatsoever with drum micing.

My current approach is basically similar to this:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/drum-prog.htm
First, I lay down basic patterns in Logic Ultrabeat. Then, I tweak the
timing in piano roll. Last - and this is the most time consuming part - I
tweak velocities, create ghost notes, rolls in HyperEdit mode.

How should I proceed next?
My current thoughts:

A.
Get a real hi-hat machine + snare, set them up with mics. (e-drum cymbals
never sound realistic enough for me, don't like snares on e-drums either
for funky stuff).
For the rest, use e-drum kick pedals, pads etc.

B.
Go the software road (i.e. Superior Drummer) and dive deeper into drum
programming.

With drum programming, I can get fairly realistic results. I'm very
flexible, can start with basic patterns and can refine/change things over
time. However, the process is time consuming & seemingly endless...

With real drum set, there is the beauty of playing immediately the right
groove with a gut feeling. However, the home recording environment (space,
neighbours) and the mic set-up can be tricky.

I know the best solution is to get a real drummer in a studio environment.
But laying down stuff quickly (still realistically as possible) is more
important than having the perfect drum track.

Would like to hear your experience & advice on this subject.

best regards
Buzap