Re: EBow - active/passive humbuckers

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for the question.
I consider myself to be an experienced user, as I have used an ebow for nearly 30 years. The principal of operation is apparently not well understood and misinformation abounds, so I am trying to provide clarification. As the drive coil of the ebow is brought closer to the pickup, it's highly clipped square wave signal is induced into the pickup, creating the characteristic buzzy tone. The volume will also increase, but this does not mean that the string's vibration is greater. It's exactly like holding a police megaphone in front of a microphone, you're hearing the increased amplification of the signal through the cheap, clipped amplifier.

This is why I suggested the experiment below, using the ebow with the guitar unplugged.

-Chuck