Re: OT: Unbalanced connections sound much better than balanced, any idea why?

Could there be a different pinout?  1 (shield) is always ground, 2 (tip) is usually hot, but in the old days folks would sometimes have pin 3 (normally the ring) hot - like Otari (reel to reels).  But I don't think that would explain what you're experiencing.
Maybe the Focusrite or the speaks are not really balanced?  IN fact, Otaris were sometimes not balanced back in the day, even though they had XLR connectors etc.
Check your manuals for a wiring diagram.
I can't imagine new cables being that off.
Were the cables all the way in?
It's always best to make your own cables if you can.  Good Belden 9451 or whatever it is (or better Canari or Mogami), Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors.  Takes some practice, but over time you save a lot of $$$ and headaches with cheese cables. And... you don't have the nightmare of a 15 foot cable when all you need is 2 feet! (sorry - old fart still catching up on metric.)
Richard