Archival open ender - Terry Riley and the Fifth Business of Looping

Sending again as the last one had the wrong title so may be missed

Hi all

This is a longish post because I'm posting text from sources at the end.

The "Fifth Business" of live looping is the anonymous French technician from Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française who implemented Riley's desire for an Echoplex with a long delay as a pair of twinned machines with an cabled feedback.

Riley's genius was in conceiving of the utility of the long duration regenerative loop (he had worked with prerecorded long loops in Mescalin Mix), and equally importanly, on its realisation, he immediately knew what could be done with it in terms of performance - he shifted from the idea of a cut-up version of Chet Baker's jazz to what we now know to be live-looping. That's what great artists do. Look what Matisse did with the idea of cutouts. And there's a certain wow emotion I think everyone here remembers getting the first time of becoming aware of the possibilities of Riley's "phantom band" in their own praxis.

But the anonymous French technician, he keeps on returning to my mind, about his identity - he wasn't surprised by the request (he hadn't heard of the Echoplex) but thought about it and presented a solution.

We know that for more than a decade previously the GRM under Schaeffer had been experimenting with such things as the Morphophone for experimenting with delays, and the amazing tempophon with spinning heads that could do real time pitch shifting with heads that rotated in the same or opposite direction of the tape to make the apparent speed of the head at tape slower or faster for the same moment in time. Now if this anonymous engineer worked in Paris for ORTF, then he will certainly have known of it, and may have even worked there. Given the number of experimental art musicians with a day job, he may have even been a musique concrete practitioner himself.

I've not been able to figure out who he was, with all the online material available. I made a ridiculously long short list by getting the name of every French sound engineer associated with ORTF around then (I was going to try to write to them), but that wasn't much help as with the number of possible identifiable addresses for each name the line of research kind of petred out.

So that's about it really. Who is that guy? Look at the extracts under the sig.

If anyone is interested in New York, Ken Dewey's archives for the period are available to look in. It includes his accounts and correspondence, so the name of the engineer might be in there
http://archives.nypl.org/controlaccess/160584?term=Riley,%20Terry,%201935-

Alternatively anyone in Paris could inquire if employment or contractual records at ORTF go back that far.

If there's anyone in the looping community looking for a research project for an honours or masters project in musicology it might be an intereting lead

Of course someone may know who it is, but the name is nowhere on the internet and I am tired of seeing this blacksmith to the gods go without a name.

ig

Texts