RE: Acoustic looping

Hi Per, thanks for responding. I was unclear, sorry

That would give creeping waves (convex) not whispering gallery waves (concave) - WGW are Rayleigh's discovery way back when he noticed them in St Paul's in London.  There's a nice animation here for the curious http://kino-ap.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/WG.html

But I was thinking of another type of thing - probably a special case of the WGW.  When really young (5) I lived on the other side of Oz, and near me there was a small cave system that if you squeaked (I was young) the squeak would return a noticeable duration later. Presumably the sound made a round trip inside. So this isn't just a WGW, it was a WGW with no possibility of escape, only of being dampened by the amount of air it had to traverse. I thought the toroidal shape of a particle generating structure would be interesting - the amount of air would dampen any attempt at subtlety, but if the sound was loud enough, and the tunnel long enough, I thought it might naturally loop.

So I thought I would ask people if anyone had tried one.

Anyway, with people decommissioning such structures due to budget cuts around the world, perhaps someone conveniently located might get a chance to check one out if the occasion arises. If they were shutting it down, someone with a stack of amps and a suitable guitar+pedals might test the idea out.

(bootnote - I revisited the cave later and a rock fall had ruined the sound)