RE: Re : Re: Terry Rileys' mysterious French engineer tape loop innovator

It's sad about the archives in disrepair and being in far-flung locations. I certainly agree if someone is in the position to ask TR they should.

Reading the texts together it seems there were three recording locations - the barn near the chateau, the OB unit at the Sarah Bernhardt theatre (which improbably is called at least three other things in the various texts) and a standard RTF studio. I could be over-interpeting (it happens) but it seems the idea and its realisation happened at the institutional location, which would make sense as they would have had the spare equipment there, and then TR and the engineer relocated it to the barn.

This account is detailed but it does contradict other accounts in one significant place - in all other accounts I have read the engineer went away and came back with a solution. This one says they messed around a bit.

But this is also not blah blah blah either I think - this is about paying respect to a person who was at the very least a fifth business and possibly an innovator. People like Maurice Martenot are the exception not the rule. Leo Fender wasn't a musician, we know his name even though it was other folks who make his instruments sing. Likewise Moog, Chamberlain, Theremin, Trautwein, Wurlitzer.  We don't have Zacharias as a household name because he worked for Hohner and he invented so much stuff it makes your head spin - but likewise we don't not know who he is.

This was why I raised it - the are people alive who know, and when they are dead the knowledge is gone. And this stuff matters.