Re: Some questions for you 'groove based loopers'

Hi Clemens,

Interesting questions! I'll add my views below.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Clement Rooney <c.s.rooney@gmail.com>
wrote:

> -Using production techniques on stage is still a relatively new craft,
> how
> do you deal with controlling levels and panning etc.?

My technique no #1 is to create the sound at an appropriate level and
pan positioning before printing it into a spinning loop. My Plan B is
to keep a hand operated MIDI mixer for quick on-the-fly adjustments of
the tracks that host the loops.

> -What other production challenges do you commonly face?

Staying away from being boring to the audience. The solution is to
create music fast enough and with as few "longeurs" as possible. In
order to pull this off I constantly try to reduce my tools into as few
as possible and very powerful (like for example layering many parts
into one loop that can then be cut or manipulated on one blow, rather
than spreading out parts over several mixer tracks to gain control)

> -If Improvisation is a part of your sound, what are the challenges when
> improvising on an instrument of so many possibilities? Do you set
> yourself
> limitations to help create a coherent sound?

Some limitations yes - but even more I try to focus on what I believe
is my own voice.

> -What sort of preparation goes into a set?

A plan of what do do if I don't get any ideas of what to do when I
start playing. It rarely happens that I have to fall back on this Plan
B but when that happens it is a great help.

> -Do you try to create climaxes at certain points in a set? If so, how?

No. I do a lot of climaxes but I don't try to create them. Instead I
try to create break-downs and what happens then is that climaxes form
naturally. Otherwise I would probably be playing too intense for
listeners; "instant climax" is not very listenable.

> -When you are performing, how do you read and interact with the crowd’s
> response to what you’re doing? Are there any specific musical
> characteristics that people respond especially well to?

I study carefully what people like and see that as a great way to make
my music more communicative.

> -Whilst performing, what sort of things do you consider when you are
> moving
> to new material?

Either stop playing and start with something new or using different
tricks to morph from one type of material into another type.

> -Were there certain genres or artists that inspired the making of your
> instrument?

No. As for electronic real-time processing I use the Mobius looper. It
basically offers instant access to anything that you can do to
recorded sound on tape with a pair of scissors and glue.

> -What advice could you give to someone just starting out in groove based
> live looping?

Learn all traditional audio processing techniques by the core.

(Example: if you get hold of a plugin that sounds really cool - make
sure you look into what exactly it does in order to achieve that
effect. You must be able to duplicate any of your plugins/pedals with
traditional signal routing/processing)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com