Re: guitarists: triple play?

On 2015-01-05 15:05, Per Boysen wrote:

Some might not like playing monophonic lines but I think that's great
for live looping because in a few seconds you can build any chord in a
looper by layering the required number of notes.

Very nice.

I was exploring an even more extreme version of this with my "looping synthesis" experiment a few years ago. Using only monophonic sine waves, I would first loop a line using only the fundamental frequency. Then I would overdub the same line (over, and over, and over, and over again) using the frequencies of the different harmonics around the fundamental.

After seven or ten overdubs, you'd start to hear a complex waveform, rather than just a set of sine waves. The interesting thing was that -- since you can never play a line exactly the same way twice -- there'd be variation in the harmonics as the phrase progressed, making it more expressive than just a standard synth waveform.

I did get some interesting results and had some ideas to take it further, but the sheer tedium of playing the same line over-&-over eventually took a lot of the fun out of it, unfortunately.

     --m.