Re: E-bow tips

At 10:22 AM 9/30/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> On another loopers' tool, I've been having mixed results with my new
>> ebow.  It sometimes takes quite a while for the string to start to
>> ring, especially when I'm trying to bring out a harmonic that isn't
>> the octave.  Any tips?
>
>Try pressing the bow closer to the string -- in other words, if there's a
>"default" spot where the bow is resting along the two guide grooves, then
>pressing down further so that the bow is in greater proximity to the
>string will help sound the string faster.  Also be very aware of where
>you're placing the bow in relation to whatever pickup you're using; the
>closer the bow is to the currently selected pickup, the more signal
>you're going to produce.  Additionally, lightly fretting the note in
>question with the left hand will help start the sound (not much help when
>talking about natural string harmonics, I know).
>
>Also be sure and listen to the tape that comes with the bow.  I put off
>listening to it myself for almost six months after I got it, and when I
>finally got around to it I was stunned at some of the sounds that can
>come out of the thing.  Like the slogan says, "Infinite sustain is
>only the beginning."  (Now where's my endorsement deal?)
>
>Good luck,
>
>--Andre

Since EBOW has been my specialty fo about 15 years...

I might add to all this: try using the EBOW backwards.  (FACING THE TREBLE
PICKUP).  Once I saw Bill Nelson doing this I adopted it and never looked
back (about 10 years ago???).  I very RARELY direct it towards the bass
pickup anymore....the treble is great, much better attack, much
brighter...but the best trick of all: turn the tone control for the treble
pickup to OFF (full bass) and then EBOW against the treble pickup.  eiree
and cool.

enjoy!

dave at studio seventeen
173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *     i'll be downstairs if you need me.
*                  *      i'll still be downstairs if you DON'T need me
*                          *         (Mr. Blint, Consequences/Godley &
Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168